Malaysian insya Allah will be celebrating Eidul Adha or as most people here would say Hari Raya Haji on Wednesday, the 17th of November. Eidul Adha or the Festival of Sacrifice is also the Eidul Akbar as compared to Eidul Fitr which is the Eidul Asghar!
It is celebrated to commemorate the unselfish willingness of the Holy Prophet Ibrahim a.s to following Allah’s command ( Surah Al Shaafat : 102 ) for him to sacrifice his son Sayyidina Ismail a.s who was only 13 years old at the time.
When he was about to be sacrificed, Sayyidina Ismail a.s asked of his beloved father a few things, as follows:
- Dear father, please tie me tightly so that I will not struggle so as not to hurt you during the act.
- Dear father, place me with my face towards the ground so that you would not have to see my face, thus felt pity for me.
- Dear father, please lift your clothes so that my blood would not spill upon your clothes.
- Dear father, please ensure that the knife is very sharp and slaughter me as quickly as possible since death is a painful experience.
- Dear father, when I have passed away, please give my clothes to my beloved mother and say to her that she should be patience following Allah’s command.
- Dear father, please do not bring children of my age into our house so as not to prolong my dear mother;s grief.
- Dear father, please refrain from looking at children of my age so that you won’t be sad upon my remembrance!
Following this trial and tribulation, the holy family of Sayyidina Inrahim a.s proved to the whole word their total obedience in following the commands of Allah SWT.
Things to do during the ten days of Zulhijjah :
- Perform the hajj
- Fast the whole 9 days and if you can’t then at least on the 9th day which is the Day of Arafah.
- Saying the takbir and Zikr.
- Repent from all our sins.
- Do lots of good deeds such as solat, sadaqah, reading the Holy Qur’an and etc.
- To say the takbir related to Eid in the day or at night, especially so after the congregational solat. Wemay start to say takbir after Subuh prayers on the 9th of Zulhijjah ( if we are not performaing the Hajj ) until Asar prayers on the 13th of Zulhijjah.
- Making the sacrifice of animals such as goats, sheeps, cows and so forth.
- For those who have intended to make the sacrifice, should refrain from cutting his hair and finger nails until the sacrifice have been done. This is in accordance with what had been narrated by Imam Muslim from Sayyidatina Ummu Salamah.
- Perform the Eid Solat in congregation.
- Fill the ten auspicious days with zikir and remembrance of Allah SWT.
Source : Pejabat Mufti Terengganu